The Bank of England (BoE) called for stricter financial regulations on the back of the recent cryptocurrency crash in its Financial Stability Report released Tuesday.
See related article: Crypto crash justifies RBI’s stance: central bank chief
- Risk is growing with the cryptocurrency industry’s expanding connection with the wider financial system, the U.K. central bank said.
- “A number of vulnerabilities, including liquidity mismatches and over-leveraged positions, were exposed within cryptoasset markets similar to those exposed by past episodes of instability in more traditional parts of the financial system,” the BoE said in its report.
- The BoE is the latest addition to a wider central bank crypto pile-on following Terra’s algorithmic stablecoin disaster.
- Investor confidence in stablecoins has been shaken, the BoE added, especially those with riskier backings or with less transparency.
- The central bank’s Financial Policy Committee expects stablecoins to meet the same stability and redemption standards as commercial bank money if used in payment systems.